Sunday, November 30, 2008

Humble pie, and how to avoid being forced to eat it.

I wonder if anyone feels more foolish than Gordon Ramsey right now. Blend that foolishness carefully with the right amount of dismal despair and finish by flambeing it with just a dash of stark realisation, and I suspect he's wishing he had just stuck to something simple from the menu, something maybe rustled up out of a tin at home by his beautiful and undeserving wife.

That's perhaps what you get when you dine out at a seemingly classy establishment that likes to push back the monogamous boundaries; a hefty bill at the end of it and a case of indigestion like you have never known.

Now I know what you are all thinking, "here we go, she's going to stick the Sabatier into Ramsey as the stereotypical cheating male", but you'd be wrong.

My concern is not him, nor is it for the reviled and scheming other woman that he enjoyed his various trysts with, but for his wife Tana.

Having read his book "Humble Pie" (I suspect he sorely wishes he had chosen another title now.....), he talks of his business relationship with Tana's father that led to his meeting her, falling in love, marrying and producing four children. Whilst I am in no way hugely knowledgeable on the subject, I would hazard a guess that Tana's father was/is very capable and authoritative, and that he easily commands respect.

That said, my instincts tell me that these were the qualities she identified in Ramsey, given that as girls many of us look for our fathers' characteristics in would-be partners. To that end, I would suspect that in addition to having to deal with the highly public humiliation she has had to endure, she is painfully having to come to terms with the monumental shock that a man she looked up to, admired and loved has done this to her. If he feels bad right now, you can multiply that by around two thousand and you might get close to how she feels.

Which leads me on to the age old debate.....why do men do this? Why do they take the risk?

Well, I think I have this kind of sorted and boxed off. I'm far from happy with my theory, but I think it's reasonably accurate and as close as I'm going to get. And frankly, I have got to a point in my life where I have given this so much thought that I desperately want to move on mentally.

A few weeks ago a male friend commented that men don't get past the emotional age of seven. At the time I thought that was a little harsh and a bit of a sweeping statement, but given that he was of said gender, I thought it had to carry some credence.

"Whenever a man does something to upset you, or wind you up, just think, 'seven years old', Think how a seven year old boy would act in the same circumstances, and voila". And you know, this theory fits so perfectly that I struggle to imagine another that could topple it.

Take Gordon Ramsey. As my S.O. rightly pointed out, he must have women throwing themselves at him like exocets, so the temptation must have been greater than a Millefeuille à la Framboise (OK, enough with the food gags now...). It clearly had nothing to do with his wife "letting herself go"....as it didn't when Cheryl Cole and hoards of beautiful women before her got themselves unfairly hit by the cheating stick.

So my guess is....he did it because he wanted to, and why, why, oh why shouldn't he? Seven years old.

I think men will do it if they believe there is no chance of being found out. Because they can. And because they want to. Seven years old.

Before any man decides to so much as contemplate cheating on his partner, whether she be a wife of thirty years or a less-important girlfriend, my advice is this:

If you are going to mess around, make absolutely, totally and completely sure that you do not get found out (that's assuming you want to continue your relationship after you have shown total disrespect for your partner).

There is only one thing more unbearable to a woman than the discovery of her partners' infidelity, and that is the pain that follows it. Spare them this. Cover your tracks, check to see they are covered and then go back and recover them again.

I am reliably informed that men can very easily separate sex and love, therefore making it easy for them to have sex with another woman whilst being in love with their longterm partner. Men, listen up: we might acknowledge this if you are very lucky, but we will never, ever truly empathise with it.

And do not assume your partner is stupid. Men do this all the time; they think they are invincible, irresistible and much cleverer than they are. If you are capable of cheating, she probably knows this already. She may chose to ignore it, but you can be sure that won't last forever.

I should make the point rather forcibly that I am not advocating that faithlessness is acceptable on these terms, but if men really feel they cannot keep their trousers on and that temptation is just too great then they should do their partners the common courtesy of making sure their indiscretions never see the light of day in any way, shape or form.

As for Tana Ramsey, I wish her well and I really hope she can find it in her heart to trust him again. And I hope he understands what an immensely huge task he has before him in order for her to do that.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, but I don't imagine men have their logic switched on when they stray.
It would be nice to think they would put their partners feelings first, but they never so and they never will.
What sickens me about Ramsey is the way he tries to make out he is the family man.
I don't think there are many men who can boast a clean slate when it comes to not cheating- it's in a man's biology.

Anonymous said...

I was shocked when I read about Gordon Ramsey as his wife is so lovely.
But, like you say, it generally has nothing to do with how pretty the wife is and everything to do with thinking they can get away with it.

Anonymous said...

I think Gordon Ramsey is a family man at heart who loves his wife- he just got caught up in his own legend

Anonymous said...

I'm going to be honest- any man who cannot keep his pants on does not deserve a woman who is committed to him.
Everyone gets tempted at times, it's part of human sexuality, but most of us have enough regard for out partners to say no (that can be said for men and women)
Do not make excuses for them, Debslyee.
They should not be given a passport to cheat and I worry that is what you are kind of saying here.

Anonymous said...

I swear to God I would not even try to hide anything from my girlfriend. After two years of living together she can tell what I want to eat for breakfast by reading my mind.
My advice to men who think they can keep any indiscretions a secret from their partner is "think again".
Women are psyhcic when it comes to this sort of thing.
The truth will always out in the end, as they say.

Anonymous said...

What you are suggesting here is only possible if the woman is emotionally much stronger than the man.

I can understand your reasons for making the point, because in some cases where men cannot help their philandering ways it is the only alternative to splitting up.

The message to the woman can only be "he doesn't care enough about you" in the long-run, though. I've seen married friends having simultaneous affairs because the guy could not be faithful and she needed support and love from elsewhere.

It's a nasty and destructive path to set out on.

Anonymous said...

I could not believe the news about the Ramseys- I feel so sorry for his wife.

Affairs are the most awful thing to have to deal with, but having to deal with it being played out in the media must be awful for her.

I don't agree that men should be excused from doing this though Debsy; if you don't have trust and mutual respect then the relationship cannot amount to much in my opinion.

debsylee said...

Please don't get me wrong here; I would never suggest a man be given a passport to cheat, nor would I suggest that successfully keeping it a secret makes it suddenly okay.

As I previously mentioned, if a man is not capable of remaining faithful then the least he can do is to spare his partner the humiliation and pain that goes with infidelity by ensuring she never finds out about it.

Anonymous said...

Women always find out, there is always someone who will let the cat out of the bag or something that gives the man away no matter how much they try to hide it.

Anonymous said...

I just wonder how all these big men who think they are some kind of Lurve Machines would react if their partners were unfaithful.

I don't think for one minute they would even hang around to listen to the explanation, and here we are talking about turning a blind eye?

Come on!!

Anonymous said...

My husband had several liaisons when I was married to him.

After the second or third he said he had no idea why he did it and swore he would stop, but he never did.

I left him eventually and ended up in a relationship with a guy who has also cheated on me. He says it's because he doesn't feel adequate in the relationship.

Ultimately both of them have said it was how I made them feel that made them cheat on me. You are right D, I knew all along and when I've had enough, I walk.

Anonymous said...

I have a dilemma at the moment where a girl I know is being messed about by a guy who has other women on the side because he is so addicted to sex.

She thinks she loves him but I know he doesn't love her. I am so torn as to what to do about it; the only fair thing I think is to come clean and tell her.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you should say anything Loopylou, unless it is affecting others (do they have kids together, for example?)

She probably already knows and from what I have witnessed over the years, no-one thanks you for passing on this sort of news.

Anonymous said...

If you know something that could stop her from making a big mistake long term, then you should tell her.
She might know, but she might also be in blissful ignorance regarding the man she is with.
Do the right thing and tell her, then let her make up her own mind.

Anonymous said...

I once had the same dilemma.
I ended up telling the woman, and she stayed with the guy because he talked her round. She also refused to talk to me again because she thought I had made it up.
Don't get involved is my advice.

Anonymous said...

In cases like this I always think you should tell the person involved that they are being deceived.

I think it is far worse when everyone knows what is going on except the innocent party, so she may feel foolish and humiliated but she can make her decision based on the real facts, not what her version is.

Be brave and tell her.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I should have also mentioned just then (I hit publish too quick) that make sure you have the facts before you before you say anything at all- these are big accusations and you need to be able to prove them.

Anonymous said...

Firstly loopylou, how do you know the guy is "addicted to sex"? And how can you be sure he has other women on the side?
If she loves him, leave her in peace. Maybe he will see the error of his ways if he is straying, who knows?
Leave well alone.

Anonymous said...

Far be it from me to side with a cheating bloke, but I would speak to him about it first, Loopyloo.....If he does think anything of her, he may consider changing his ways rather than losing her....Just a thought.