Friday, November 21, 2008

Point a microphone at me and suddenly it all becomes clear....

When I moved back to the treasure that is my home county from the thriving hub that is Berkshire back in April of this year I have to admit I had a few reservations.

On paper it all made sense; practically (my parents were ready, willing and able to help and assist with caring of and for Ben), financially (you could purchase a small stately home here for what a four-bed detached cost in Berkshire.....pre-slump...), emotionally (I admit it; I love my family and it pained me to be two hundred miles down the road from them...) and in a spiritual sense (I know many will scoff, but I felt "ready" to come home).

There is an aspect to my emotional welfare that didn't make it onto the list because quite simply, as a contraindication, so it was better left off. My friends. My touchstones. I left them behind and the fact that I couldn't meet up with them for coffee or a glass of wine at the drop of a hat hurt me for a good few months. And on a practical and business-related level, many of my friends were part of my business network so that dissappeared on the sortie northward too... But the way I look at it is this; that's why we have motorways, mobile phones and Facebook. No friend is ever too far away these days that you can't reach out to them via some medium or other.

But there were also the unquantifiables that don't make it onto the page with all the practical and sensible reasons listed above. The issues that you know will bug you, but you dare not give voice to them as it would make you appear shallow and without a soul.

Starbucks. Space NK. Waterloo station. LK Bennett. John Lewis. Heathrow. The American Bar at the Savoy. So strike me down, I miss these things.

So I packed me, my son, my business and our worldly possessions into the appropriate vessels and we moved back to the green pastures of Lincolnshire.

Almost instantaneously I was presented with a highly acceptable and alluring treasure that Lincolnshire had to offer; a man that fair took the wind out of my sails. And for a non-seafaring type of girl that takes some doing, let me tell you.

It would be fair to say that we sailed a few stormy seas, but such is the voyage we choose to take when we embark on the search for personal and intimate fulfillment.

In truth, it was not just the romantic angle of my chart that struggled during the first few weeks, but also the one that missed my girls, my buddies. To say I was on an emotionally-powered roller coaster would be understating it slightly, but the show went on regardless.

The business has stuttered and spluttered a little, mainly due to another relocation some three months after moving up here back to my home office and away from the unreasonably expensive office in Lincoln that I initially signed up for. Having said all that, all remains in reasonably good shape, despite the economic doom and gloom we are fed on a daily basis.

And my son, as all children do, meets each day with unquestioning and keen optimism. He loves his new school, he likes his new teacher and he adores the fact that he can now see his Grandma and Grandad on a daily basis. In fact, some days I think he would forego contact with me, the mother who gave him life, to be with his grandparents. It's a thankless job being a mother sometimes, don't you find?

So this week I found myself some seven months down the line, being asked to comment on a local community radio station on how relocation had affected me and my business. Needless to say, as a local station, they inadvertently wanted me to "big" Lincolnshire up a bit and to dumb down all that may have been good about the South East.

To my surprise it wasn't a difficult task at all.

When I assessed my networking activity over the last six months I realised that most of it had been done via a couple of key and crucial business sites.

As a result I have made business contacts and friends in Holland, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Italy, South Africa, America, Mexico, Brazil, Australia as well as many more in London and the surrounding area.

You can pretty much guarantee I would not be interacting with these new found friends and acquaintances if I had still been resident in Berkshire; I would have stayed well within the comfort zone of my familiar network.

The world is now more accessible, and it is definitely smaller. It is easier than it has ever been to reach outside of your obvious and immediate space and touch what exists beyond. It is no longer relevant what postcode or locality you live in.

It now takes me just ten minutes longer to reach the centre of London by train than it did when I lived in Berkshire, and I have a much faster broadband connection. In addition it takes me no more than twenty minutes to get to wherever I need to be in the city, be it shopping amenities, bars or restaurants. There is never a traffic jam to battle with as I take my son to school, and that is after he has checked what the cows are doing in the field behind our house every morning.

I now have the pleasure of adding to my address book many wonderful and special friends as a result of reaching beyond my imagined limits; Ingrid from South Africa, Barbara from California, Lotte from Sweden, Sos from Denmark, Ulrike from Austria, Sam from New South Wales, Regina from Orlando, Tom from Norway....and of course I could not possibly miss out Nina, Stephanie, Brian, Jan, Amanda, Stella and Corinne from the UK.

So when I was asked by said radio station what difficulties I had encountered in relocating from the South East to the wilds of the Lincolnshire landscape, they caught me at precisely the right time to say....."none, really."

In fact it has moved me forcibly on to my next chapter, in more ways than one.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done you Debsylee, you are a fighter and a survivor, you should be proud of yourself
x

Anonymous said...

Yes the world is much smaller now- it makes no difference where you live if you have access to a computer and telecoms.
You made the right choice for you and your son.

Anonymous said...

Poignantly written and really thought-provoking.
I often think I couldnt leave London for personal and commercial reasons, but you are right, location is less and less important in terms of doing business these days.

Anonymous said...

You have style, my gorgeous girl

Anonymous said...

I don't check on what the cattle are doing when I look out my bedroom window in the morning, I look to see if there are any tyres left on my car :-(

Anonymous said...

Suggesting that the there could be parts of the UK that you can run ably business from other than the South East?
What are you thinking of? ;-)

Anonymous said...

I just read your community blog on Ecademy and can I just say I agree with every word; some people on there are so far up their own backsides it beggars belief.
Sadly, I find most of them (although not exclusively) are Brits.....
And for the record, if you write in your spare time you should keep it up because it is absolutely terrific.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog- it's the best thing I've found online in a long time.
Many congratulations x

Anonymous said...

Can I offer myself as your personal man servant? I think you you should have someone willing to take the bullet for you or push you out the way of a speeding truck.
I also make a mean pan of scrambled eggs for breakfast and I like chick programmes like Sex and The City (unless you would rather I sort the laundry)
Why would I do all this? Because you stuck it up those pompous a**holes on Ecademy real good today.
I await your call, my lady,
Your humble servant,
Mr Perfect

Anonymous said...

Yes well done Deb- you were BRILLIANT X