Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The BBC; all that is British? Debate.....

No-one has been more defensive of the BBC over the years than me.

The odd slip made by a presenter you can forgive (except for when it is not edited out and subsequently is broadcast.....) and even the licence fee I could live with.

Admittedly certain episodes you can choose to overlook if you are of a humorous and light disposition; other times you really want to take far-reaching and explosive action to the point that people will hear the rumble of your ire approaching.

Take this morning. Weather is foggy and dismal. I am not in what I would describe a "positive" frame of mind for a number of persistent and niggling reasons, the details of which I will not bore you with. Needless to say it was not helped by driving my father to a market town some twenty-five miles away at 7.00am this morning to meet his retired chums for an "away day".

I turn on my CD player and it decides to jump all over the place; it is faulty and on my list of "things to replace/buy" when I have some of that rarest of commodities- disposable income.

So, for a change, I switch to Radio 2.

Radio 2. The Ken Bruce show.

I don't see myself as an avid fan, but I want relaxed, friendly banter and neutral music. It's foggy and cold outside, and I don't want anything taxing or controversial entering the vicinity of my ears.

There is no need to further explain what happened next, save for me to copy and paste in the complaint I have just sent to the BBC:

“I have just been listening to the Ken Bruce show in my car during which he made reference to the fact that "Lynne" was all "chav'ed up" and would "look at home in any branch of Lidl". This was broadcast at around 11.15am.

Let me explain to you while I find that comment so offensive.

I am a divorced single mother who is desperately trying to keep her business afloat in very difficult trading conditions. Coupled with these challenges I frequently lay awake at night and wonder how I will meet my mortgage payments and if I don't, will my house and my son's future inheritance be snatched from me without consultation. I am certain many people are in similar situations to me.

Given the financial pressures I find myself frequently shopping in Lidl.

I wonder, by Mr Bruce's rationale, does this make me a "chav" and a subject of ridicule?

Given the recent debacle your organisation has faced with the Jonathan Ross/ Russell Brand fiasco, I find it incredible that your presenters are making off-the-cuff comments like this with no regard to the difficulties so many people are facing.

Let me assure you of one thing, there is nothing "Council House And Violent" about me; I write a blog that receives much critical acclaim and I am confident I will see myself and my son out of our current situation. I should inform you, however, that I may still continue to shop from time to time in Lidl. How dreadful.

I can see a prompt below this text box asking me if I want a response; you can bet your licence fee I do.

Please e-mail me at ****@*****.com with an explanation of why you think the above is acceptable practice.”

Apparently the planets are aligned at the moment to signify huge changes on the horizon over the coming years, and today is a seismic day in being a catalyst for these changes.

Of course, everyone is pointing to the US election and the possibility of the first black president.

I for one am keeping everything crossed, because seismic or not, we need change and it can't come soon enough for me.

68 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely disgraceful.

I wish I could cancel my TV licence- the BBC makes my blood boil.

Anonymous said...

Good for you- that is so bad

I hope they apologise

Anonymous said...

BBC are nothing but a bunch of overpaid arses in my opinion.

They seem to spend all their time worrying about political niceties and Joe Public can get lost

Anonymous said...

BBC- Boring Bullshit Corporation

We should all reprogramme our TVs and radios and get shot.

Anonymous said...

That is so appalling- I expect lots of people have complained about that.

Bloody Ken Bruce- what a t*sser.

I expect he was playing to all his fellow t*ssers.

Anonymous said...

Debs,

The moral to all this is let your dad get a cab next time....that's what put you in a bad mood ;-)

x

debsylee said...

You could be right on that point, my friend.....

Anonymous said...

I know I'm right.

Take the afternoon off, go do something nice and forget all this cr*p

Big hug xx

debsylee said...

That's the best plan I've heard all day ;-)

Anonymous said...

I don't know what is happening to the BBC. Maybe Ken Bruce needs 12 weeks unpaid to see what the real world is all about.

Anonymous said...

Not hoping for a BBC series, then Deb??!

You sound more than a little stressed out, but I guess that's in line with most of the country at the moment.

I'll Skype later and we can put the world to rights if you are around- hugs x

Anonymous said...

The BBC are a bunch of self-serving politico's.

Don't expect any regard for the man in the street from them anytime soon.

Anonymous said...

Wolfy Smith.....I loved that guy

Anonymous said...

I think something has wound you right up, girl, and the BBC got in the firing line.

Love the line "I can see a prompt below this text box asking me if I want a response; you can bet your licence fee I do"

Very funny, but you do still have a point.

Anonymous said...

Let's make try and bring the BBC down on the strength of Ken Bruce's comment......hell, I've nothing else on this afternoon

Anonymous said...

Love that idea- sign here if you are sick of the BBC and it's supercilious cr*p, and if you demand that Ken Bruce be shown the door pronto

Anonymous said...

Sick of the BBC and all it stands for- I'm in

Anonymous said...

Definitely in

Anonymous said...

I'm in, and I think Ken Bruce should pay for your weekly groceries at the supermarket of your choice, Debsylee, in apology

Anonymous said...

Count me in- the sooner the BBC disbands the better

Anonymous said...

disgusting- i'm in

Anonymous said...

Power to the people!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I tell you why this happens; it's because the South East is full of people who rather run up credit cards buying food in Waitrose than be seen dead in Lidl.

People like that will have been laughing at Bruce's comment, and then later on will be hiding from the baillifs.

The hypocrisy in this country makes me want to vomit.

Anonymous said...

Pride before a fall. I agree- it's ridiculous

Anonymous said...

Whilst I can see that he probably did not mean any harm by saying it, he really should have had more sense

Anonymous said...

He gets paid a lot of money to take cheap shots at people who are struggling.

Fire the idiot.

Anonymous said...

He should walk for that- what a pr*t

Anonymous said...

I think Caroles' comments about people in the South East are valid, but sadly they exist everywhere in the UK.

I live in Edinburgh and a bigger bunch of snobs I have yet to meet.

I agree- Bruce should apologise and/or go (preferably both)

Anonymous said...

Count me in- love to see the BBC go to the wall

Anonymous said...

I normally quite like him, but that comment is unbelievable

Anonymous said...

Get rid- BBC are up their own backsides

Anonymous said...

So why did getting up early to take your dad out cause the problem?

Anonymous said...

It didn't- Ken Bruce caused the problem and his slipshod mouth

Anonymous said...

Hey Debsydoooooooo

I've read your blog and you are so going to get a book deal out of this, perfect poppet.

You need to back off the BBC though babe, cos when you're famous and they're paying you loads, someone will show them this entry and you'll be suspended :-O

I've talked to Tim and he told me about your early morning drive out with your dad- calling you later.

xoxoxoxox

debsylee said...

Did he now? It wasn't the early start that was the problem contrary to what he might think.

Anonymous said...

No, he told me. Like I said- later, you and me, dog and bone (or Skype- whatever)

Anonymous said...

Luke, you're not goig to start with the pincer movement again, are you buddy? LOL

Anonymous said...

Ken Bruce must be deranged.

The BBC's days are numbered- here's hoping anyhow

Anonymous said...

Leave my pincers out of it!

Not having my girl pilloried like this; it's not cricket.

Anonymous said...

OK, can we get back to slagging off the BBC please so I can waste my employers time purposefully?

Anonymous said...

You boys will be in knee-deep doodah when she reads this......

Anonymous said...

You know what he's like- he should be in bloody Spooks

Anonymous said...

So what is with the early morning drive out thing and why so important?

Anonymous said...

Deb got up early this morning and now she wishes she'd stayed in bed- let's just leave it there

Anonymous said...

Most of my days are like that, only briefly brightened by the latest BBC fauxpas

Anonymous said...

The shipping forecast is wicked, the rest of it stinks

Anonymous said...

You mean she's overtired?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I mean just that

Anonymous said...

The BBC are a law unto themselves. If this incident blows up, they'll apologise and that will be it.
Nothing will change.

Anonymous said...

This is outrageous!

I hope you give 'em hell Deb; good girl for making a stand

x

Anonymous said...

You would think after the Ross and Brand episode they would be more careful. Incredible.

Anonymous said...

Love this entry because I've listened to Radio 2 for years and years and frequently been hacked off by some arrogant remarks.
I never bothered to contact them though to let them have full throttle, so good on you Debsylee.

Anonymous said...

Classic BBC comment and at a time when the country is falling to its financial knees.
I hope the corporation is proud of itself as it rakes our licence fees in.

Anonymous said...

Absolutley dreadful; I wonder how many other seemingly "harmless" comments go unchallenged?

Anonymous said...

The really poor thing about this is I expect he had no idea how offensive his comment was.
I shop at Lidl, and you know what? The car park is full of Mercedes and BMWs. And before anyone says it, no they're not nicked or gypsy motors.

Anonymous said...

People are slowly realising that labels don't necessarily mean better quality anymore.
The reason Lidl, Aldi and Netto do well is because the standards are good.
It's a pity the likes of Ken Bruce are too arrogant to acknowledge that.
Where's Wolfy gone? I hope he's back tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

As a nation we love to slag something for being cheap, it doesn't matter if it's actually any good or not

Anonymous said...

I suppose he thought he was being funny, but when you're on the sort of money he is it probably is funny.
If he doesn't apologise something is very wrong here, I hope you will keep us posted Debs

Anonymous said...

You can imagine the guffawing in the BBC canteen as that one hit the airwaves.

What a cad.

Anonymous said...

Insensitive s*d. I despair.

Anonymous said...

Having read your illiterate postings, read your humourless profile and seen your unattractive photo I can see why, should you be spotted in (shock horror!) Lidl, you may be mistaken for a chav...
But then I hear there is a new breed of people in there these days...the SOGROBTBS (that is SickOfGettingRippedOffByTheBigSupermarkets).
They are such a common bunch.
Seriously, your blog is fantastic, your writing is amazing and you are clearly doing a spectacular job raising your child on your own.
Stay strong and don't let comments like Ken Bruces' get you down- you are way better than any of it. He probaly doesn't have the courage and strength in his whole being that you have in your little finger.

Anonymous said...

Bravo bill beeb

Anonymous said...

Completely right- well said

Anonymous said...

Good comment, well put

Anonymous said...

I work in the City and I find none of this funny, I can assure you.
If the BBC think it's OK to put out this sort of message they had better think again.

Anonymous said...

I also work in the City and it is a very different place these days to what it was a year ago. The fact that the BBC has failed to pick up on that probably says something.

Anonymous said...

I also work in the City and it is a very different place these days to what it was a year ago. The fact that the BBC has failed to pick up on that probably says something.

Anonymous said...

We got our wish: Obama is on his way to the White House. Sadly I think there will be little he can do about the bigots at the BBC though.