Sunday, November 23, 2008

Brickbats and bouquets....musings on a snowy Sunday

At the risk of over-egging an already very yolky omelette, it's Sunday, the snow is falling and I'm in "pensive and thankful" mode....no change there, then!

I had just penned the title of this posting when a good friend Skype'd me from Austria and we got into a discussion about the trials and tribulations of love, our associated neuroses and the resulting "euphoria-to-despair in 60 seconds flat" feeling that can result.

Some people are meant to come into our lives at certain times, I am certain of it. Ulrike is one such friend for me.

There is a slight language barrier, but I don't think I've bonded as quickly and closely with another girlfriend for a long, long time. We don't need the exact right words to communicate, we just know.

I convey generally what I'm feeling, she gets it and vice-versa. Absolutely perfect. And completely what the doctor ordered; friends like this restore your perspective much quicker than any self-help book could.

So Ulrike, I'm sending you a bouquet of the most gorgeous exotic flowers, because I know when you get it, you above all others, will appreciate it ;-)

A bouquet also to my beautiful boy Ben, who spent Friday night being horribly sick, something that happens very infrequently these days.

During the day he made a swift recovery in time to accompany his Grandma to the village fair taking place in the local hall. I duly gave him two pounds to spend on anything that took his fancy (save for loose women and hard liquor, naturally)

When I went to collect him yesterday evening he announced that there had been nothing there to spend his two pounds on for little boys, but went on to present me with some chocolate cakes and a jar of home-made marmalade that he said he thought I would like.

And that is how a four year old can quite innocently reduce a woman to tears. I can't even blame raging hormones this time....

Brickbat time.

This time I'm covering pomposity (and the necessary elimination thereof), why the need for honesty is paramount (not strictly a brickbat, but I can't shoe-horn in into the bouquet section....) and the pain that is a bikini wax.....(I will never, ever come to terms with it, much in the same way I never came to terms with Bernard Manning)

Many will know that I regularly frequent a business networking site.

Deep down I have to admit that I hate face-to-face networking, not because I struggle to strike up conversations but I frequently have found myself in a room full of people that are not interested in me nor I them; I've eaten a below-par meal and have parted with twenty-five pounds for the privilege.

Does that sound harsh? I don't mean it to be.

Let me say I have never attended any such event with the intention of initiating some big sales campaign; I take a more relaxed view to networking. I believe that if you aim to network with people with whom you have synergy, they will point business in your direction ultimately, and you will do the same for them. It's long lasting and ultimately more desirable than a hard-sell approach in my humble opinion.

So my online site cuts through all the unnecessaries and enables you to connect quickly with a vast number of people from around the globe (something you don't get at the local Beefeater).

And yet it appears there are a number of members of said site who feel the quickfire connection approach makes a "mockery of the networking process". They are at pains to declare that if you should so much as wish to even contemplate approaching them to connect, you should read their profile in fine detail (and they point out that they will check to see you have done this....) first and then approach them via personal message. They will then read through your details and decide whether they want to connect with you.

Utterly, utterly hilarious.

I posted a blog on the site yesterday voicing my opinion on this topic that was reasonably restrained, but the great thing is that on here, I can let rip. So here goes:

If your name is Alan Sugar or Richard Branson (or anyone of that ilk...), I would inwardly digest every detail of your profile to the point that I salivate and lick the screen. If yours isn't a name I have heard of, I will approach you in such a way that does not require me to bow and scrape.

If you see that as a mockery of the networking principle, then we don't need to connect anyway. Perhaps you should try and get a slot on the South Bank Show to voice your outrage.

Maybe this is what SO meant when he said "gobby"........hmmm.....

The need for honesty........ Crucial, and I suppose if you get this right then it translates as a bouquet.

This in essence formed part of my conversation with Ulrike.

It reminded me of an argument that broke out during my last marriage; he went on a business trip to Blackpool and swore blind he didn't visit any strip joints, lap dancing clubs, etc.

I think when you get to be a certain age as a woman, you accept that all men visit these places. It doesn't mean they are ripe for a one-night stand or an affair, they just have a curiosity that many women don't understand. If you accept our mutual differences in this regard, it makes it easier to deal with.

So why would a man not tell his partner? Why lie about it if it was "innocent curiosity"?

The seemingly white lie in this instance gives full force to the notion that there must be other more sinister things that have been kept from you. It is cancerous.

His defence was "I didn't want to hurt you".

When a seemingly insignificant thing is covered up because he "doesn't want to hurt" you, it leaves a nasty stain on the relationship. Such a nasty stain that no matter how many times you put it through the boil wash that is your reasoning, you will never truly shift it.

This type of occurrence is not confined to trips to strip clubs, of course. It exists wherever one partner feels that they have to keep details from the other, because they "wouldn't understand" or it's maybe perceived as "easier to not tell".

Coming clean may necessitate an uncomfortable conversation or two, but that's called communication which can never be a bad thing. In addition, it nurtures respect and understanding.

Unlike bikini waxing, which in my experience does not have a preferred angle for approach.

I should point out here that my natural colouring is very, very dark (my hair was jet black when I was born). This ultimately means waxing results in pain which is akin to the early stages of childbirth, and this time I pay fifteen pounds a time for the experience.

My lovely Lisa, who administers the aforementioned torture once a month, commented "there's no wonder it hurts, look at the roots on them!!" the first time she treated me... Oh, how I wished I hadn't looked. Now I feel my whimpering and squeals are justified.

Anyone who can suggest a less painful alternative, please get in touch. I'm not unreasonable about this, I know that pain will play a part at some point when it comes to this process.....I just want less of it, please.

And anyone that suggests not putting myself through it and giving up altogether.....well, that's funny. I do like a good belly laugh.

I feel I've mused enough; waxing lyrical has never been so much fun ;-)

61 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't talk to me about waxing- I need a large glass of wine every time I get it done

Anonymous said...

Wow there's a wide range of subjects covered!
On the need for honesty I have to agree. I feel it is worse when you pick up that something isn't right but you can't put your finger on it. I have had so many rows over the years with my bf over it.
You are right- if they just come clean to start with it would be easier.
Love Bex x

Anonymous said...

Men usually say nothing for a quiet life, it's sad but true.

Anonymous said...

Sorry but the previous comment is bang on; most of the time it isn't that we don't want to be honest, we just don't want an earful.

Anonymous said...

I suspect that is why most relationships break down - lack of communication.
It is never easy for a guy to talk, and this is why it's key to have a partner you feel at ease to talk to.
I've known plenty of nagging women in my time (sorry, but it's true), it's hard to open up when you expect an ear bashing.
Both parties need ot work at this- women making men feel at ease to open up and men need to understand it is important that they do :-)

Anonymous said...

The reason most women nag is because men don't talk. Or obey ;-)

Anonymous said...

This is one angry posting Debsylee!

Who or what has upset you?

Anonymous said...

Leave her alone guys; she'll talk is and when she wants to talk.

Anonymous said...

sorry......"talk if and when she to..."

Anonymous said...

Why is everyone thinking something or someone has upset her?? Jeeeeez...
You lot are priceless- if you had the chance I bet you'd be going through her garbage.
Stop making it into such a drama.

Anonymous said...

Simple. I bet the first letter is "m" and the third "n".

Anonymous said...

OK guys, please just back off.

I'm asking nicely; please?

Anonymous said...

Am I missing something here?

Why does everyone think there is something wrong with her?

Anonymous said...

That is what I thought mate; I just thought she was sounding a bit feisty.
I kinda liked it! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Shoot me down in flames if you care to, but this is the sort of thing women pick up on and men generally don't.
Celia has asked us to leave it alone so I think we should respect that.
For what its worth I hope you feel better today Debsylee, x o x o x

Anonymous said...

I think there has been a misunderstanding here....she says she was talking to her friend about honesty and then she talked about her previous marriage........I see it that she was helping and advising her friend on it and it reminded her of something in the past.

That is why she is feisty- not coz something happened recently.

Anonymous said...

The clue is in the title....she was musing, "chewing over" if you will.

Anonymous said...

D'ya know, I've followed this blog for a while now and I really like it, but I think this girl needs to get some perspective.
I like the fact that she writes when she feels some sort of extreme emotion (or maybe just sheer boredom), but she is all over the place. One minute happy, one minute wanting to smash the place up.
Lighten up a bit, girl....just my opinion for what it's worth.

Anonymous said...

I don't see her that way at all (and I'm a guy).

Are you telling me that you are always in the same mood, constant, no ups, no downs? Zzzzzzz.......

She definitely feels deeply, but what the heck's wrong with that?

Anonymous said...

I agree with stevie- if she was my woman she'd do my head in proper

Anonymous said...

SO STOP READING HER BLOG IF SHE BUGS YOU THAT MUCH, YOU JERKS.

Anonymous said...

On behalf of all men everywhere:

She does sound like a nightmare.

There, I said what most of you are thinking.

Anonymous said...

I met DebsyLee at a Charity Event she organised, and occasionally chat online with her.

Like most of us (male and female) she has her emotional ups and downs. Unlike most of us (particuarly males) she is sharing them with us, and doing so very eloquently.

I would suggest that you consider why it is that you feel so threatened by her.

Ignoring any physical attributes, Debsy is an intelligent and caring woman with an excellent personality and sense of humour.

I'm sure her SO realises how lucky he is, and accepts that it is worth being on the receiving end of occasional moods and baggage.

Anonymous said...

That's all well and good Andrew, but the problem with "intelligent and caring" women is that they like the sound of their own voice a bit too much and usually they're not happy unless they are making some mans life a misery.

She doesn't threaten me for the record, I think she just needs to grow up.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Who let the pack of nasty b*st*rds in??

Well done Andrew for sticking up for her- I don't know Debsy but I expect your description of her is spot on, unlike this bunch of mindless cretins.

And when has she whined?? Oh sorry, yes...... you are probably of the belief that as soon as woman has anything to say, she must be whining.

Clear off and go play with the traffic.

Anonymous said...

Oh come on, every posting has been one long whine with the occasional bit of bragging thrown in....yawn.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to direct this comment at all you lot who seem ready to stick the knife in today for some unknown reason- what are you doing on here if she winds you up that much?
Secondly, let me say that its very telling that apart from Stevie, you're all "anonymous" or under a ridiculous alias.
Debs has more balls (metaphorically speaking) than the lot of you put together.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Suggest you see a doctor for that sick mind you have.

Debsy- I'd start hitting "delete" or "block" if I were you girl, there are some nasty sh*ts on here today.

Anonymous said...

These comments go to prove one thing most of us suspected; men can be far nastier and bitchier than women.

Lots of dumped and deluded men on here today, clearly.

For the record, "front row seat please", she clearly has more dignity than you give her credit for. That said, we would all like to see anything that involves your ritual humiliation so please feel free to share a link if you have one. Oh, and one other thing- you're an arsehole and not welcome on this site.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Big brave man, frsp. We're all dead impressed by your wit and repartie.

Now p*ss off you, nasty and repulsive little tosser.

Anonymous said...

Debsylee, for the record, the arses that have posted on here do not represent men as a whole.

I'm your typical "man's man", I like a pint, love football and formula one (i.e. I'm not gay....)

I think you sound great, you look like your a lot of fun and I bet your bloke thinks he's a lucky guy.

Don't listen to these tossers- I bet they all have small d*cks ;-)

Anonymous said...

LOL Kris.....it always comes down to size, doesn't it??!!

Anonymous said...

Debs, if I were you I'd think about closing this site down honey, and start another one somewhere else- you of all people don't need this cr*p.
Some very undesirable commenters have slipped in under the radar.
Hugs xxx

Anonymous said...

If she can't take it, she shouldn't stick it on here.

Anonymous said...

Or is it that the only acceptable comment is one that praises her and generally sucks up to her?

Here's the truth- she isn't that talented, she's not that good looking and she probably is a pain in the arse.

Anonymous said...

Thats your thoughts, not many people who know her and who visit this site think the same.
She is a warm and a lovely person, you should be ashamed of yourself for saying this.

Anonymous said...

I really have no idea why there have been so many vile and repugnant comments on here today.

I'm in mind to agree with CeliaTX and advise you to close the blog down if this continues.

Try not to let this upset you Debsylee; you are talented and gorgeous :-)

Lots of love to you X

Anonymous said...

Alice is right; don't let them upset you.
They are a bunch of twisted men with issues.
(((((((hugs)))))))

Anonymous said...

Yes, assholes, go comment on some site where the followers will give a f*ck

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Oh no, going so soon?

Don't forget to take your catapult and your cap gun with you.

Anonymous said...

Actually guys I think we should back off a bit here cos I think she may take the advice to shut the blog down, and I for one would reeeeeallllly like to hear about when he dumps her too LOL

Anonymous said...

Debsylee you can alter the settings on your blog so that you can moderate/approve these comments before they are published, you don't have to take this mindless crap from these excuses for men.
x

Anonymous said...

Good grief, I have never read anything quite like these comments....why any of you would want to hurt someone you have never met like this is just unbelievable!

To me she seems a lovely person, caring, strong and thoughtful, but some of you have set about savaging her on here in a way that is totally unacceptable and base.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves for doing it in the first place, and secondly for not having a better way to utilise your time.

Anonymous said...

Close this down Debs; it's never going to be the same after today
:-(

Anonymous said...

Why should she close it down?

Do what Jenni says and moderate comments- I visit plenty of blogs where your comment doens't appear straight away.

Don't give in to them, girl- thye're bullies with small d*cks (I know someone already said that, but you know it's true)

Anonymous said...

I have to say, my dear, that the reaction and stir you have experienced on here today is the result of one thing only: there are lots and lots of people reading and following your blog.

Did you know that on average only one in fifty people who read a blog actually bother to comment? You work out the math, as the Americans say.

Congratulations; you seem to have arrived.

Anonymous said...

Well put, Mrs W.

Now is the time to hold your nerve Debs.

Anonymous said...

Deborah is a kind, warm woman, nothing any of these idiots say will change that for sure.

Anonymous said...

...."the problem with "intelligent and caring" women is that they like the sound of their own voice a bit too much and usually they're not happy unless they are making some mans life a misery"....

I cannot believe that a fellow male has posted that earlier today...together with comments to the effect that some of you want to sit and gloat IF her relationship goes wrong.

You lot make me ashamed to be male.

Anonymous said...

We can make you an honourary woman Dan, no problem- I'm sure Debsy would agree!
Debsy I cannot believe what some of those guys said on here today; I hope you know in your heart that they are all complete jerks, and that you ARE talented and gorgeous?
Men can be such pr*cks at times,
Love Bex x

Anonymous said...

Amazing that one minute I was giggling about bikini waxing and the next I'm finding there has been a full-scale assassination attempt on the writer.....I hope you are OK, Debs?

Anonymous said...

Can I be an honourary woman too? Don't want to be associated with those t*ssers.

Anonymous said...

Are you alright Debs?
Love Bex x

Anonymous said...

Wow! How brave people can be when they are hiding behind a computer screen. Also very brutal. I can see why humanity has the problems we have. The real interesting part of it all is how everyone interprets what she said in their own way. Everyone creates their own story of who she is and what she is like, etc..., but that is not the worst of it. The worst part is that we then start relating to who she is in reality based only upon "our own invented story". Its not that we can't all be entitled to formulated our own opinion, its just that we have to be responsible for realizing that that is all it is and my opinion is no more valid than the next persons. As for my opinion as to what she said here, all that I heard was someone who was reflecting about something that had occurred in the past and offering her opinion about it. Nothing more needs to be applied to that act of self expression. In my experience, many people who have left comments here need to lighten up. Again, that is just my own opinion based on my own observations, and nothing more!

debsylee said...

I have to be honest here, chaps; I have no idea why my last posting managed to attract some of the comments it did.

To that end, I have hit 'delete' on some of them, not because I can't take any level of criticism (you will see there are still some left on here that are less than favourable), but I think it is wholly unnecessary for my other half or me to have to read about people wanting to hear about us splitting up, etc.

I started this blog as an outlet for my writing; I've said before that I never really expected anyone to actually read it, let alone comment on it. So when people did start to comment, it was a bit of a shock if I'm completely honest, a nice shock all the same.

I don't expect everyone to like what I write or the way I write it; I don't expect everyone to feel that we are kindred spirits, but I do expect a level of common courtesy that extends to not making comments that are personal and derisory.

Also I have taken Jenni's advice and set up comment moderation, which I believe is a great shame; I actually am very much in favour of free and uncensored speech. But I think todays' events go to show that some of us struggle when left in charge of a pc with an internet connection.

Thank you to everyone who has been supportive and so kind throughout todays' onslaught and many thanks for your concern,

Debs x

Anonymous said...

Hi Debsylee,
I'm pleased you're fine and that those idiots yesterday haven't got you down.
Good idea about moderating comments, I don't think anyone can blame you for that.
Lindsey x

Anonymous said...

Yes- good to see you back!
Moderate away, girl