Monday, November 10, 2008

The needs and the wants (and why we all just want to be rescued)

Many moons ago and during what now seems like another lifetime, I underwent a huge number of training courses in preparation for and the development of my sales career. Some would teach you fact-finding techniques, others how to uncover client hot buttons but they all did one thing (along with ensuring you spent too long in the bar the night before with your colleagues…), they all talked about needs and wants.

Needs were the boring, had-to-do’s:

“I need to go to the dry cleaners”

“I need to pay the electricity bill”

“I need to stop talking drivel”

Wants, on the other hand, are much more interesting, and a little bit sexy in the notion of a demand being on the table:

“I want champagne, not 3 for 2 dodgy Spanish table wine”

“I want that pair of Manolo Blahniks, dammit”

“I want ice cubes sending to my room now!”

There’s a bit of the prima donna in the wants, but apparently and according to the very best sales training courses, it is the wants and not the needs that will cause a person (i.e. your prospect) to take action.

Of course, in my twenties and as a fresh-faced eager-to-please sales recruit, I took all this on board without question. Off I went into the blue commercial yonder, keen to do business and full of unbridled enthusiasm.

Some twenty years down the line and I realise that the sales techniques of yesteryear are still being applied sadly. How many times do I have to practically hang my phone up when someone calls to try and sell me advertising? It’s not a great feeling, I can assure you; cold calling to me was like the sales version of having a root canal. But it appears some companies are still stuck there right back in the eighties, refusing to use up-to-date and more subtle techniques to attract custom (another post, another day, methinks)

They clearly need to up date their methods, but they obviously don’t want to.

So, at the risk of pushing the envelope beyond what is an acceptable use of paper, I would hazard a guess that the old needs and wants theory may be a little frayed around the edges, too.

“Why so?” I hear you ask.

Why? Because I now realise that many of the things we tell ourselves we don’t need, we actually do. And most probably in spade-loads.

I’m thinking here about taking time to sit and clear your mind every day of the constant mayhem that rages through it and about promising yourself that once a week you will have half an hour of “you-downtime” to do whatever takes your fancy. And most of all, I’m talking of learning to accept a helping hand when you are mentally and emotionally spent.

We don’t actually “need” any of these things on paper, but I will stick my neck out here and say that because we’ve probably shunned them for so long, we both need and want them now.

There is, as my friend Natalie will tell you, an episode of Sex and the City to mirror every eventuality in a woman’s life (and possibly for many men, too).

The episode “Where There’s Smoke..” sees the four girls discussing over brunch (as they do…as all girls do…) why firemen seem to be the archetypal female fantasy.

The very pretty yet seemingly naïve Charlotte blurts out “because deep down women just want to be rescued”

The other three sit motionless for a moment, catching each others’ eyes in the uncomfortable and silent acknowledgment of the truth.

Now I’m not too sure about when that episode was filmed, but I’d take a stab at around eight years ago at least, and as ever, we've moved on and our needs and wants have moved with us. I don’t believe women want to be rescued anymore; I think we need to be.

Of course the real challenge for a man here is, as we know, being able to identify when to switch into “fireman mode” and to haul you over his shoulder.

As a dyed-in-the-wool sales person I would recommend uncovering the need, and the want won’t be too far behind.

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent antidote for a miserable Monday morning!

Do women really want to be rescued, though? I'm not sure......

Anonymous said...

I don't, but it sounds like Debsylee does LOL

Anonymous said...

Women want to be rescued and men want to rescue them- trouble is neither really let the other know because it can be misconstrued as being weak.

Anonymous said...

Women I've dated will argue that they don't need a man around, it's a nice change to hear a woman admit otherwise

Anonymous said...

I love that episode of SATC- isn't that the one where Carrie judges the hot firefighter contest?
Yeh I think all women want to be rescued- like you said they just find it hard to admit thats what they want

Anonymous said...

I think they just like the idea of being rescued, eh Deb? :-)

Anonymous said...

I tell you what happens here: we spend all our time acting like we're not interested and all tough, then we get together with our girlfriends and slag men off for not taking the initiative.
Tell me I'm wrong, girlfriends?

Anonymous said...

LOL that's funny Janie- and very true :-D

Anonymous said...

Ok so give us clues here, apart from reading the comments on here, how are we supposed to know all this? Just wondering at what point you thought we were mindreaders...???

Anonymous said...

Awww c'mon, don't start all that, men do the tough and silent thing too. Women just want to chased and to be told they are beautiful.
But above all they want a MAN TO BE A MAN!

Anonymous said...

If my girlfriend started playing hard to get with me, I would think one of two things- she's not interested or she's trying to play games with my head.
Either way, I'm out of there.

Anonymous said...

Because she tried to get you to take a bit more notice maybe? So how many girlfriends have you had out of interest?

Anonymous said...

It isn't on to play games, whether you are the man or the woman

Anonymous said...

I never said playing games was OK, but sometimes one partner may need to pull back a little if they are the one doing all the work. This way it makes the other sit up and take a bit of notice, that's all I meant.

Anonymous said...

Or here's an idea, why doesn't the neglected one just turn around and ask why he/she is being ignored?

A bit straight forward I'll admit but ya never know, might just save a bit of time.

Anonymous said...

Because that wouldnt be tough and like they werent interested Doug. It doesn't fit with the act.
And so when you walk away they can have a real good go at you with their mates that way.

Anonymous said...

OK guys, sensing some bitterness here.
You probably won't believe this, but we don't make it our mission to make your lives a misery. But yes we do talk, it's what women do. We support each other. It saves us from getting all bitter and twisted (well most of us anyway)

Anonymous said...

It is very true- women do talk.

Trouble is they normally talk to their mates when they should actually be talking to their partners.

Anonymous said...

Could not have put that better myself.

Sorry ladies, you have to admit that he has a point?

Anonymous said...

Yes you do have a point, but whenever I've tried to talk to my fella he just looks at me like I'm talking some foreign language.

Women would love to talk to men, but you don't make it easy!

Anonymous said...

Hey Debs- you never uncovered my need, or my want for that matter!

Hope all is OK up there on the range? Are you still a sassy chick or have you gone all Barbour on us?

I don't see you in a four-wheel drive offroading somehow- it's not very Carrie is it?

debsylee said...

Waddya mean, "not very Carrie"????

Barbours, I will have you know, you little whippersnapper, are very in.....or they were last time we saw Vogue up here around 6 months ago.

Anyway, will have to dash as I'm sure there's some muck needs spreading outside :-P

Anonymous said...

Debs, I'm still struggling to visualise the city girl on the laaaaand, don't start talking muck as well; that's just too much in one conversation :-o

Anonymous said...

Debs was never a city girl; she always to go back to the country and "be rescued", didn't you babe?

Anonymous said...

Yeah she was always zipping up her boots and heading back to her roots, man...we only had her for a short time.

Had no idea about the rescue fantasy though ;-)

Anonymous said...

Someone called the office the other day and asked for you by name actually Debs.

They said they were from Lehmans and could you take back the 4000 chairs? I gave them your forwarding address (a few chairs always come in handy at Christams don't they?)

Seriously, you can't have helped things there. So mercenary. And now you're looking after livestock....tut tut.

debsylee said...

Yes, and you should know I'm pretty adept with a pitchfork these days (standard issue once you cross the border into no man's land....)

Now get off my laaaaand!

Anonymous said...

So is the rescue thing a fantasy? lol

Anonymous said...

No, it is no fantasy- all women like the idea, especially if you can borrow the firemans' uniform too!

Anonymous said...

Don't you think a lot of this fantasy thing is exciting because it is just that, a fantasy?

I know we're using the fireman thing as a bit of an analogy, but seriously if your man charged in, swept you up and took charge of your life, would you really like it?

debsylee said...

I'm not sure about taking charge of my life necessarily, but picking me up off the floor and kissing it better occasionally?

Absolutely!

Seriously, I don't think any grown woman would say no to that?

Anonymous said...

What about men? Do they want to be rescued?

Anonymous said...

I've been hoping and praying all my adult life that a woman would rescue me.

Sophia Loren to be exact.

Anonymous said...

For me it would be Isabella Rossellini everytime

Anonymous said...

Jenna Jameson!

Anonymous said...

There you go! Men imagine WHO they want to be rescued by.

We just want to be rescued- we don't do specifics (for God's sake...)

Anonymous said...

Agree totally, men want a specific rescuer, women just like the concept!

Anonymous said...

I'm not that fussy, any of Girls Aloud woulld be OK lol