Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A new day dawns, a new era beckons...


I guess it is an integral part of the little girl in me that continues to believe that magic does happen. Of late it has been in short supply admittedly, and when I have pointed it out to my nearest and dearest I have been told on occasion that I am being overly sentimental and "slushy".

Well, they may be right, but I want to believe. And I do believe, because last night we all saw what many would have thought impossible a few years ago.

Given the climate I suppose many of us are clinging to any piece of driftwood that masquerades as hope that happens to float by, but somehow I think Barack Obama will make the change he speaks of.

He appears to have the capability to unite, inspire and uplift; experience can be brought in, but those former three qualities are not so easily come by.

There are many aspects of America that make me very uncomfortable; indeed when my good friend Jo relocated there four years ago with her family I found myself of the opinion that it would never do for me.

But I have to say that a nation that sees first time voters queuing for up to six hours to vote, and when they do vote, they make the groundbreaking decision to ensure that their 44th president is African-American, I am full of admiration and, if I'm honest, more than a little dejected because I can't imagine that it could happen in Britain.

I woke at around 5.15am this morning to Obama making his acceptance speech live on the radio. As his words started to make sense and I became fully alert, I felt the history of the moment that people have talked of. Later as I took my boy to school I listened to a girl in New York tell of how she helped an African-American lady of a hundred and one years of age to the polling station so that she could vote for Obama.

I don't mind admitting this event has moved me to tears several times today, and I'm not even American. But today I wish I was.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you are on your own- I cried listening to his speech and I live in Manchester lol

Great day, great choice by the Americans

Anonymous said...

The man is full of charisma- I really hope he delivers

Anonymous said...

Everyone talks about his inexperience like Bush was such a safe pair of hands because of his lineage. The US will not regret this decision.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic speech, the man is a natural

Anonymous said...

How come you cry at the US election result but not at Four Weddings anymore??! LOL

debsylee said...

I was lying! :-D

Anonymous said...

I hope he survives this; the comparisons to Kennedy are inescapable.

Anonymous said...

I think everyone is worrying about that- too many nutters out there

Anonymous said...

May God bless all of US.

All you nay sayers, say yeah now.

Anonymous said...

I have spent much of the day in disbelief, an African-American is going to be the next US president.

I can hardly believe it even 12 hours later. Amazing!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the way people are writing him off already today; he has no experience, he can't do anything to speak of, etc, etc, etc.

Give the man the chance to prove you wrong. And for now, shut the h*ll up.

Anonymous said...

I for one love Barack Obama, and I want to know who the guy is behind you in your new profile pic!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Me too. Tell the story, Debsylee

Anonymous said...

omg you guys have xray vision i guess this is a new photo?

Anonymous said...

Is that a newer photo? You were blonder before- I like the dark look

Anonymous said...

Is she leaning on him or is he hugging her

Anonymous said...

I like the dark hair too - very sexy

Anonymous said...

She looks happy whatever shes' doing. I hope it is recent?

Anonymous said...

Excellent how a post about probably the biggest thing to happen in our recent history manages to collapse into a coversation about hair colour and if "she is leaning on him or not"!!

Bloody classic!

Anonymous said...

Deep down we all just wanna know the guy claimed his girl or not :-)))

Anonymous said...

Totally on the nose!! I like the bits about the deep stuff but we all just want to know really if they are still an item!!!

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who studies people in photographs, she sometimes comments for magazines, you know the sort of thing- is there trouble between Angelina and Brad because they aren't looking into each others eyes.

I sent her this link and she said it looked liked the photo has been cropped so Debsylee is sending out a message that this is about her and no-one else, but the fact that you can still see there is someone behind her suggests that she wants it to be known someone is in the background (in every sense of the word)

The fact that she looks happy, relaxed and open suggests she is at one with herself and not beholdant to anyone.

I would say from her analysis the "are they aren't they" debate is pretty out of date and irrelevant.

Sorry folks......

Anonymous said...

So what does that mean? Are they an item or not??

Anonymous said...

I think what Pam is saying is the relationship is not up for discussion any longer and that she has moved on emotionally

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly that, she doesn't want it discussing on here, depite the fact that people won't leave it alone!