Friday, October 31, 2008

Quantum of Solace and other such spells...

I suppose I knew it wasn't going to be a great week when I decided to start my detox regime only to find that Walkers crisps were on offer (£1.99 for eighteen packets....) at my local supermarket. Given my penchant to "bag a bargain", they managed to find their way into my basket and, admittedly with some coaxing, into my kitchen cupboard (an eighteen-packet bag takes some manipulation, let me tell you)

When all is said and done they don't need to be eaten straight away, do they? And all other such ridiculously futile reasons and excuses like that.

Half-term week with my boy, and an hour into Monday morning and he is announcing he is bored, he wants to know what the Red Arrows are doing and if Girls Aloud love him (I should mention that the Red Arrows are based and practice locally....it's a chore but they have to do it somewhere).

Of course Girls Aloud love him, I announce. They phone me frequently to tell me.

I wonder how it must feel to have "blimey! which one of them do I marry?" as the biggest concern in life. Then I remember how I have sprinkled many notions into his little mind; that the Red Arrows turned out on the day he started school just for him, that Shrek lives in Market Rasen and that there are no ghosts around here (secretly, I'm hoping the last one is true).

As a relatively upbeat kind of girl I've never coped well with the darker moments in life. Nothing too drastic, just those "straw that broke the camels' back" moments blended with the right monthly hormonal levels and- bingo! I can self-deprecate with the best of them. Everything that was positive is now of no significance, because my life is such a load of it that it doesn't matter.

And it's better to let me rant when I'm like that because when this particular Duracell bunny gets going, she will screech that you know nothing if you dare to stop her in her tracks. That's if she can hear you amidst the beating of chest and wailing that ensues.

And this, my friends, is roughly approaching the state I found myself in yesterday afternoon.

Thankfully I had some sense gently prized into me by one who, despite knowing me a relatively short time, has mastered the art of switching my mood control from dim to lighter, and then to sparkling. His style is not to pander to my bottom-lip to any great extent; too much of that and I turn into Shirley Temple without the attitude.

So, today dawns and, though still wobbly, I feel brighter and closer to normal. I can hold my head above water to at least get a lung full of air which is a marked improvement on where I was twenty-four hours ago.

During a slight submersion this afternoon, there is a knock at my door. It is my very considerate and pleasant neighbour who has taken in a parcel from Amazon for me. I thank him and laugh as he remarks that I must read a lot; this, you understand, is not the first time he has done this favour for me. Then I recall that the last time the box was actually open (not, I am sure, the work of said neighbour) and that it contained books on tarot cards and the study thereof. This time the parcel was sealed firmly shut. It did not contain books about tarot but they were not of a nature that you would necessarily want to share with anyone that you were likely to bump into in Tescos.

I closed the door and sat down again at my desk. Pleasant neighbur walks back to his house; I wonder if he has any inkling of the various topics of my reading matter, tarot-related or otherwise. Suddenly I imagine my reputation on "The Close" may be developing as the raven haired, wild and wanton divorcee at number one.... Someone who casts spells to entice and hypnotise. A woman who is devoid of all inhibitions, who has bid farewell to conforming in order to re-engage with her inner sensual being....

Someone a bit like Kate Bush, but with more melody and sultry smiles.

Eyes open, and I'm back.

Escapism in the right dose is better than anything the doctor could prescribe.

My quantum of solace. And I didn't even need Daniel Craig to apply it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hysterical post for Halloween

Wild and wanton always gets my vote

Anonymous said...

All Hallows and Daniel Craig is a sexy as you can get!

Anonymous said...

My mother filled my head with ideas I was going to marry Prince Andrew. I think that's pretty close to child abuse.
Seriously, I bet your son will grow up with magical memories of his childhood, you sound like a laugh a minute with a touch of magic thrown in.

Anonymous said...

I used to tell my girls that the tooth fairy had a secret video recorder to capture how long they brushed thier teeth for
Always worked for me

Anonymous said...

"The Close" only needs to worry when you start with the human sacrifices!

Love the blog Deb

Emma x

Anonymous said...

My mom used to warn me about women like you!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Witchcraft is much maligned in my opinion.

The three witches in Macbeth frankly made the play what it is.

Or was that Jack Nicholson?

Never could remember. What the heck.

Anonymous said...

When I read this posting and the previous two, it does strike me that women should listen to their intuition more. It rarely lets you down (the glasses in the dishwasher? Not good. Not conculsive agreed, but come on!)

Lots of people refer to this sixth sense as witchcraft because it is unexplained, but if we women used it more we wouldn't be taken for a ride quite so often.

My advice is go with what your gut tells you, tarot cards or no tarot cards. It will rarely be wrong.

We often know deep down what is going on but we don't want to face it.

Anonymous said...

Pleased you mention the tarot cards, what are you doing studying them Debsylee?

Anonymous said...

Tarot cards give you confirmation that you aren't going round the bend if you use them wisely. I would never recommend people run their lives by them, although many do.

debsylee said...

I certainly don't run my life by them, but the previous commenter is right; they can give you confirmation and also a little clarity, especially at times when things just don't "feel" right.

debsylee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hello Deborah:

I think your writing is very true and thought provoking.

I am a new Ecademy member so I have not gotten to know my way around everything yet.

But I look forward to talking to you further.

Robert Speed