Monday, October 13, 2008

La douleur exquise....pts. 1 and 2

Into every seemingly blissful life, a little pain must fall.

I collected my tiny, tiny little boy from school on Friday afternoon to find fingernail scratch marks down his left cheek. Actually he is nowhere near being a tiny, tiny little boy but I've never forgotten that moment when I first held him and I scared myself rigid that he would break. A friend at the time wisely commented that it was statistically far more likely that he would break me. It never really came to that but I soon realised she had a point.

As a moderately over-protective parent I strode up to his teacher and asked what had happened, and the only explanation I was given was that there had been some playground altercation although it was all a bit foggy as to what had happened...

Uncharacteristically he was very quiet when asked about how he got them, but I managed twenty-four hours later to extract from him that two of his classmates had chased him and scratched him on purpose.

When asked if he had told a teacher about it, he said no. When I asked if he had cried, he said no.
Then he looked pleadingly at me and asked if I was cross with him. Like a knife into my chest, I decided that this job is really too hard at times......

Rather predictably my father said he needed to learn how to deliver a sly punch on the quiet; I pointed out that, whilst I could see the need to defend himself, it may be difficult to explain the peculiarities and vagaries of self-defence to a four year old.

Sometimes, however, the universe decides it isn't just going to put you to the test in one area (in this instance it was resisting the temptation to pin my son's teacher against the wall and demand an explanation as to why she could not explain his lacerated face.....). Sometimes it decides that you've scraped through the audition, so you're off to boot camp. Oh goodie.

A phone call. That's all it takes.

"If you have an issue with something I've done, can you tell me before you publish it on the internet?"

Oh. Hmmm.

You can see his point, I guess......

Then I remembered the tortured state of disarray I was in on Friday evening and I, thankfully, came to my senses.

"This, you have to understand, is therapy to me; twenty years ago I would have written everything in a diary and stuffed it under the bed" He concedes that point; the world, I point out, has moved on.

Thirty years ago and it would have been in the diary and hidden in a place where I thought no-one went. No-one, that is, except my mother, apparently.

I feel I should point out that the disarray was caused by a brusque comment made by him to me to my entirely vacuous question "are you OK?"

Not that big a deal in the scheme of things, and I know that, all things being equal, I should have cast it off in the manner in which it was intended. Yes, I know I should have.....

So the pain here is actually twofold as the brusque episode and the ensuing shaking of the head and the soul searching seems to go on for hours, days..... And then the squirming on realisation that publishing your pain on the internet may be more than a little unfair when it involves your paramour, someone that you would take a bullet for.

(Don't get too excited; I fired the bullet into that last comment for dramatic effect)

The wild and obtuse tangents caused by misunderstandings can always be solved by one thing. Every time.

A phone call. That's all it takes.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! You have just posted as I left a comment.

Your earlier post carries my thoughts- I'm mailing you right away.

Keep this going, girl (the writing, that is)

Anonymous said...

OK, let me get this straight.

You tell the world via the web that he as annoyed you.

He then reads that he has annoyed you on the web and calls you to tell you he's not happy.

You see where I'm going with this?

Start talking to EACH OTHER; I'm guessing by the way you talk about him you're pretty good in all the other areas of your relationship.

You are a terrific writer by the way, the other guys are right.

Anonymous said...

Didn't she try to talk to him and didn't he knock her back????

Anonymous said...

Does "are you ok" count as talking? Not sure it does, but maybe you have a point- he did knock her back.

They seem to be dancing around each other all the time, that's the point I'm making.

But who cares? It's an entertaining read and way better than most of the drivel people stick on their blogs.

Anonymous said...

Talking, whatever..... It's the doing that counts.

Has he taken hold of you, looked you in the eye and told you that you are the only woman that he wants? the only woman he wants at his side? the only woman who moves him?

I suspect not.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, but this is real life, honey, not a soppy drippy chick flick.

If she wants hearts and roses I do not think it is coming to her anytime soon- she is too spunky for that and he probably knows it.

Anonymous said...

She loves him, and I bet he loves her.

Am I the only one who wants a happy ending here?

Anonymous said...

Yessss- if he tells her he loves her and wants her to move in tomorrow, the postings stop.

Guaranteed. This is her outlet.

Come to think of it, when was the last post?

I jest. He is not telling her he loves her. Ever.

Anonymous said...

Thats too harsh. You cannot say that- hoe do you know he doesnt love her?

My guy finally told me after 2 years after I had broken my heart in front of him begging him to say it

Anonymous said...

No woman should ever have to beg a man to tell her he loves her.....

COME ON, PEOPLE- what is going on here?

Please let it be noted that this girl is never gonna fall into that trap, no matter how much she thinks of him...

She makes out she's soft- but she is nobody's fool.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, whatever little squabbles you have going on down there, just continue.

Maybe he will tell her he loves her, maybe he won't.

This girl has an ability to translate the written word into something that really resonates; that means something where I come from.

It means talent.

If he doesn't realise he has a brilliant and talented girl sleeping next to him in his bed at night, that is his problem, not hers.

Anonymous said...

He won't know what he has until he loses her

That is the tragedy, it always is

Anonymous said...

I cannot read this anymore. you are all so negative.

I think this is a real love story. I hope she stops writing soon. it might shut you all up.

Anonymous said...

well yeah, it will shut us up cos there wont be any posts to comment on...

Anonymous said...

Ah! Just worked out how to leave messages! Check this technophobe out. Can't remember what I was gonna say now, I'm so excited I worked it out.
Your blog is hilarious and sooo true to life! In fact if it wasn't so true, then it wouldn't be half as entertaining. Love the honesty and openness.