Saturday, October 11, 2008

Unacceptable behaviour; how far is too far?

I don't think I've given this question much thought at all over the past few years. I have blindly accepted some atrocious treatment, some rather expectedly doled out by business rivals, other times, more disappointingly, by so-called friends.

And, of course, who could forget the apology for manners and good grace displayed by ex-partners? This, I would have to say, has not usually been owing to their innate bad character; it's been more a case of an inability to tell the truth. Perhaps they had previously dated bunny-boiling tyre-slashers and preferred to run for the hills as a result rather than utter phrases such as "it's over", "there's someone else" or "it's not you, it's me"....

I never have felt the need to wreak revenge; why do people do that? Why bother wasting more time on someone who clearly doesn't want to be with you? Which is why it has always disappointed me when men are not honest; the silent treatment is, to be perfectly frank, far more annoying. Now that does stir up a need to damage something dear to the offending party, preferably his ego.

My girls and I have sat for many an evening and lamented this issue. Our theories have ranged from men never wanting to truly burn their bridges (our favourite), to them being too cowardly (also a strong contender) right across to he is probably seeing someone else, possibly several, and he's not going silent, he just doesn't have time to call in between dates and planning his next conquest.

In the final analysis it doesn't matter a jot to me; going silent is unacceptable behaviour irrespective of the reason. There really is no excuse; if someone is old enough to vote that means that technically they are an adult. You would hope.

So, how do I define unacceptable behaviour? Very simple; the old-fashioned way. I expect to be treated the way same way I treat others; that is a very fair arrangement. In truth I believe most of us overlook the fact that usually what we tolerate is way below that standard.

You may wonder why I'm debating this point at length; it has, of course, to do with Duz. I have to offload here as Adrian has this morning announced he will not respond or communicate any further with me on the subject of "the D word". I find that a little stern, I have to say....

But the time has come to make a decision here; too much angst-ridden wringing of hands has taken place on the subject of Duz already. This time it's serious.

He is pulling back again, not communicating, the usual story. And so the pattern repeats itself.

This time however, things are slightly different. A couple of business projects are taking off; I am off my starting blocks and ready to fly.

When it's good, it's fabulous, but when it's bad, it is unbearable. The pleasure and the pain.

Why, oh why?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Too cowardly" gets my vote, although I've also used the "you can do better" - the difference being I believed it, whereas for most guys it's probably just a line.

You know my thoughts on the "D word"

Good luck whatever you decide.

Anonymous said...

Ditch this guy; what is it about him? OK, maybe you shouldn't answer that!

All I know is that you look very cute and you're obviously smart, and he sounds like a jerk.

As for the question of why we go silent, it's not always cos we want out. With me it's usually because I need time to myself, but I don't think that's what is happening with him. I only do it every six months or so; this guy is doing it when the weather changes.

You can do much better.

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like he wants all the fringe benefits of a relationship but none of the commitment.

I suspect you probably ask a few too many questions for his taste too; maybe suggests he gets himself a cat or something?

Men like this never change; take it from one who tried to change hers for over ten years. You never get a "happy ever after" with this type of man- too self-absorbed.

Anonymous said...

Most men do this, and most women don't understand it.

The best advice I can give is go with your instincts, they'll tell you what to do.

Good luck