Thursday, October 9, 2008

The fall and the rise...

Whenever life starts to get interesting I have to pinch myself. It's akin to a massive change in weather conditions; one minute you're battening down the hatches hoping to keep the wind and rain out, then the sun comes out and you marvel at the sudden warmth on your skin, all the while carefully eying your galoshes in case there's another unexpected outburst.

In the space of two weeks I've given three interviews, all concerning various aspects of my life to date. I guess three marriages, a dose of plastic surgery, an upheaval to a part of the country that most residents of the South East think warrants carrying a phrasebook at all times and meeting my very own version of Carrie's Big is enough to send a journalist reaching for a notepad.

In isolation none of this seems extraordinary, but I had a moment of truth dawn on me yesterday; I don't tolerate boring, staid and uninteresting. If it can be improved, I will give it my very best shot and then some. I don't believe in reinventing the wheel; stay with it and put it right. If you pour every ounce of yourself into it and nothing changes, turn around and show a clean pair of heels.

My marriages took every ounce of effort, several times over. But I put the weight back on again, thankfully.

The plastic surgery just took nerve and vast amounts of cash. If you add into the mix a charming surgeon who tells you that he is going to make you pretty, then that works too (actually he didn't say that, but if they ever make the film, that is definitely going to be the line that has Debsy reaching for her chequebook....)

The move to Lincolnshire was the sensible thing to do given the circumstances. It is slower here in every sense of the word, but there are hidden treasures that make up for the feeling that some days you are wading through treacle. One of those treasures is the post office at a place called Middle Rasen (entirely a different place to Market Rasen; never confuse your Middle with your Market).

Said post office is so much more than just that, a post office. It cannot occupy much more than 100 square feet, but somehow it seems to function as a greengrocer, a newsagent, a hardware store, a confectioners and a freezer centre. Oh, and did I mention the post office? Not just a post office, but one that actually wants to offer a level of service that impresses you to the point that you tell others of it, rare phenomenen that it is. That, my friends, you do not find in the South East. I remember my local post office in Berkshire; acres of dusty half-empty shelves laden with tat, simply because the miserable owners made enough from selling tax discs and doling out pensions once a week.

And so I come to Duz (or Carrie's Big). I have made comment often that I have never been in love, not properly. Not that heart-stopping, yearning and all-consuming feeling that renders everything in it's wake insignificant.

No, he's not an easy man, but when did I ever expect for one moment that an easy man was right for me? When he's beside me sleeping I absorb the feeling and take it to a place in my mind that I can easily call on when he isn't there. When he pulls me to him and puts his arms around me it makes everything go away, just for that moment. To me, that is my completion.

Is my completion also love? If it isn't, I'm not sure what other description would do it justice.

A media-savvy friend told me the other day to leave my relationships out of this blog if I wanted them to survive. Posting your inner most thoughts and fears for the world to prod and poke is leaving yourself vulnerable to attack.

I understand that, but isn't that what the "delete" button is for?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are on the up, and so you should be, you are one gutsy gal.
I hope your Duz reads this. My god, if my girl wrote that about me I would never come down from cloud nine.

Anonymous said...

Darling Debs,

You and I have known each other a long time and I really hope that Duz is the man for you. I fear that he may still not know the gem that he has in his grasp though, my love.....

Some men are attentive, considerate and sensitive. Have great bodies, cook, clean house and are good at sex...gosh that's me! We are rare but worth tracking down...

I'm kidding, my darling Debs, I know you love Duz and nothing can break that. God knows you have bored me a-plenty with tales of him.... If he breaks your heart, we will (collectively) kill him!

Anonymous said...

And amen to all of that.
Big hug and lots of love, honey; see you in the a.m. (p.s. he is, so very definitely, not worthy of you)

Anonymous said...

Leave this girl alone! If she loves her man she should be aloud to find out on her own if he is right for her or not.

Anonymous said...

Darling, you can't even spell ALLOWED.........

Anonymous said...

You seem like a bunch of people determined to keep her away from him. You need to leave her in peace I expect she needs it

Anonymous said...

sorry was my spelling ok there

Anonymous said...

Wooo hooo! all hell breaking out here Debs!! What have you done you vixen

Anonymous said...

Deb only you know what you want and who you want, you shouldn't listen to anyone. If he is right for you, you will know soon enough xxx

Anonymous said...

There's clearly a load of people on here who know you and that puts them at the advantage as they know you both.
All I have noticed is that he seems to give very liitle for what he is getting back.

Anonymous said...

You people kill me.

This is the most heartfelt, well written blog I have read in such a long time that it pains me, and all you can bitch about is whether she should be with this guy or not?

Go back! Read what she wrote about the Middle Rasin postal office- can you not see how skilled she is?

This girl deserves fame, notoriety and applause, not petty squabbling.

Congratulations, Debsylee; you are a one of life's deserved winners, and you will be rewarded as such, I havbe no doubt about that.

Anonymous said...

I second that, verity l-b.

Plus she's cute!

Anonymous said...

He sounds like a man who will never truly appreciate you; yes you love him, but in the final analysis what will that mean?

Verity LB is absolutely on the money; you write beautifully. It will only be a matter of time before someone sees that.

Anonymous said...

Here's what I think- you have a real talent.

If this story is real and not all fabricated to get an audience, you should concentrate more on getting into print and less on this guy.

And here's something else- if that really is your picture you will have no problem getting publicity.

I will mail you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bernie!

Yes - it's her story
Yes - it's her picture
and
Yes - she has talent

You should see her Wedding Invites!

Enjoying your blog Debs :-)

Shazza n Markie xxx

debsylee said...

Hey Barbarella!!

Long time, no speak-ee!

Have only just seen that you commented, you sly little minx...

I don't think any of my "brides" have commented yet ;-)

Debs xx