Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My secret self by the other me...

One of my most annoying traits is that I can change my mind at the drop of a hat on an issue that I could have been one hundred per cent sold on five minutes beforehand. Some see this as inconsistent and unpredictable; I prefer the terms "flexible" and "accommodating".

If you speak to any of my inner circle they will happily list lots of other equally annoying traits, but the "switching horses mid-race" habit does secretly hack me off too. I can be happily plowing my way through a business project, and then WHAM! I have a new idea that is so over-poweringly brilliant that everything else fades away into an insignificant backdrop.

It gets particularly annoying when said new idea involves not only a new range of products, but also a new website and a new blog. I sometimes forget that I don't yet have a support team of ten fabulous and self-starting assistants that can help with the ensuing tasks; I live some way off in the future you see, which is also vexing for my accountant and bank manager. Some people have no vision.

Recently I decided to spice things up a bit with my event stationery business; years of working with ivory ribbon and dreamy themes leaves you wanting to break out the black satin and raunch it up a notch or two. I was so excited at the prospect that I neglected to sit and determine where the three extra days per week I would need were going to come from...

So far the website is established; it looks rather saucy and full of promise, but sadly it is only that- just saucy, no meat underneath (I hope that doesn't conjure up any inappropriate images- it isn't that kind of site)

I've always loved the term "work in progress" because it implies continued growth and improvement; unfortunately in this case it means what it means, "under construction".....

On a very light, airy and positive note, Lincolnshire life improves by the day. I'm starting to realise that the improvements I'm noticing are not recent, they were always there, but now my eyes are rested and I hope I've lost part of the Southern attitude that must have annoyed the heck out of everyone, so I can see more clearly.

Most recently on the drive back from taking my boy to school I noticed a wheelbarrow outside someones' house full of cooking apples (clearly from their orchard...). There was a sign by it that read "Free apples- help yourself".

A missed opportunity to make a few quid? Very possibly.

But this is Lincolnshire. Thank heavens.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's happened to the man? Has he fallen by the wayside?

Anonymous said...

She was getting too obsessed with him, but i was wondering the same

ninachi said...

Well believe it or not I have seen the rare apple offer(albeit in a cardboard box and not a picturesque presentation previously described) on the pavement in London...with the words "Please Help Yourself".

Having lived in South Africa prior to this sighting, I was most amused and surprised to discover that Londoners were such a generous bunch...:-)

Anonymous said...

A sad indictment when free apples on the side of the road leads to quizzical comments of surprise!

Debsylee, I have been reading your posts for some time now and I love your ability to turn everyday observations into talking points. When people do that successfully, they make it appear effortless, as you undoubtedly do. I suspect you probably knock these posts out in tweny minutes or so? Tell me I'm wrong? That's what I mean by "effortless".

As for the questions concerning your "Duz", I suspect you have made him "The Promise" to keep shtum about your relationship. Very wise; if you left it on here people would rip it to shreads, as I am sure you have realised.

Unknown said...

I have just now accepted your invitation for friendship at ecademy and followed your advice to visit your blog. Good advice. I always thought I had a like minded sister somewhere. Maybe I have found her? Hear you on the peddlers of "good day every day" philosophies. Life doles out all manner of daily experiences seemingly to no purpose until that golden moment of clarity, "I see," says the blind one. So play away, laugh when you can, believe above all things in yourself and your unfathomable creative power, and the rest falls into place. If you say you can, you're right. If you say you can't, your' right. Continue to say you can and watch the magic unfold. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but what can I say: you inspire me!

Cheers,
CB