Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Lightning strikes......maybe once, maybe twice.

I'm very fortunate that my life has been filled with people and experiences that, in the main, I have loved, enjoyed and am very grateful for. Some admittedly I could have done without, but hey, how can you appreciate the really good stuff unless there's a bit of cack in there too?

But I think that without music, my appreciation of life would have fallen short of it's eventual mark. I don't have a collection of music, I have a wardrobe, and every morning I select what best fits my mood du jour. Often when I go out in my car I curse the fact that I haven't brought a few particular CDs with me and am still listening to the same ones that I placed in the player some six months ago. It's like going on a fortnights holiday and only remembering to take two pairs of shoes. Unthinkable.

Those of you who have a similar penchant and attachment to music will know how this feels; it can be more effective than any other mood enhancer I know of (not that I am that knowledgeable on the subject of mood enhancers, save for alcohol.....of which I have still not imbibed some three days later after my last excursion to the edge and back).

And so today I got to thinking.....what song would I chose to define my life?

I love conundrums like this; it's like desert island discs but you only get to pick one..... The pressure of it is immense.

My song found it's way again on to my airwaves today, over and over. That's a very annoying feature of mine; I will play a particular favourite song over and over and over.....the repeat button gets well used chez debsylee.

Gypsy by Fleetwood Mac.

So I'm back, to the velvet underground
Back to the floor, that I love
To a room with some lace and paper flowers
Back to the gypsy that I was...


There is a part of me that is a bit boho. People often don't believe me on that, but seriously, if long flowing skirts had suited me better than pencil skirts, I would have given Kate Bush a run for her money.

Fleetwood Mac always, always, always puts me in a good mood, particularly this track. It is the ultimate free spirit song; tales of flying into life's experience and taking your leave when you need to....

And it all comes down to you
Well, you know that it does
Well, lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice
Ah, and it lights up the night
And you see your gypsy....


You see I've decided that it's only good to remain a part of people's lives if you're enhancing them; once you stop doing that it's time to fly off. If you light up their night, then you stick around and ignite a few more torches.

It all sounds very transitory, but really it isn't at all. Some nights can last a whole lifetime if you both want them to.

Lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice
And it all comes down to you...


Everybody thinks Dreams was their best track, but if you're not familiar with Gypsy, give this a whirl.........magical. Stevie Nicks at her best.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really beautiful track

Anonymous said...

You crack me up Debs....boho??? You are the least boho chick I know!! lol
But you are a free spirit, babe, I'll give you that ;-)

Anonymous said...

Interesting question... what song defines your life? Ermm...today I'd have to say Eight Days a Week by the Beatles (that's how long my working week feels..)

Love Fleetwood Mac too :)

Anonymous said...

LOL Jools..she likes her heels too much, that girly!
Can see why you picked the song though Deb, the lyrics are very "you",
Loads of love xxx

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I'm quoting a McFly song, but I've lost count of the number of girls/women I could have sung this song about, so it must be my song.

Chorus of "Obviously"

'Cause obviously,
She's out of my league,
I'm wastin' my time
'Cause she'll never be mine
I know i never will be good enough for her.
No, no
Never will be good enough for her

Anonymous said...

"Someday you will find me
Caught beneath the land slide
In a champagne supernova
A champagne supernova"

Has to be mine :-)

Anonymous said...

Love this song Debsylee, and a gorgeous evocative video
x

Anonymous said...

I love Fleetwood Mac- Stevie Nicks is awesomely talented.

I can't beleive this track is over 25 years old.

Good choice Debsylee :)

Anonymous said...

Totally agree on the music thing- I listen all day and every day to my fave stuff. If I can't for some reason then the day never goes that well- love my grooves

Anonymous said...

Debbbb-syyyyy-leeeee......

You might be a free spirit darling, but someone has captured your interest, imagination and I daresay, your heart too....am I right or am I right?

Peter x x x

Anonymous said...

I'd forgotten how bloody great this track is- cheers Debsylee
x

Anonymous said...

Good talking, bling-girl.

I don't know if I see you in the tea dance sequence in this vid Debs, or skipping through the forest....lol

Christmas hugs,
T xxxxx

debsylee said...

Tea dance, mate; couldn't cope with the pine needles!