Friday, December 19, 2008

2009......the year of living dangerously

As Christmas approaches I am filled with an overwhelming desire to get the thing over with; fast forward to New Years Eve, do the "rah rah" thing and just get stuck straight into 2009.

I normally love Christmas, but this year my cracker has lost it's snap. My Ben won't be with me until 27th December. I relinquish him to his father on Christmas Eve, at which point I intend to crank the heating up, put my shorts on and pretend it's the height of summer. Pimms, anyone?

The most obvious part of being a parent is that you have to be responsible, to do the right thing and to be an example to your child. But this year I have realised the following:

* The one song guaranteed to get me dancing after a few drinks is Mr Loverman by Shabba Ranks,
* You should only watch the news these days if you are on some form of medication,
* A second cup of tea never tastes as good as the first...
* If you get a bad feeling about someone there will be a good reason for it,
* Always acknowledge and pay homage to your inner child; otherwise she will go crazy, do something stupid and get you into deep doo-dah,
* When people speak to you in an undeserved disdainful tone, delete them with lightening speed from your contacts, phone and your life in general,
* Robbie should rejoin Take That.......how great would that be? Seriously... fantastic.

None of these things are particularly logical or responsible, but neither is taking out a mortgage or buying a new car........when it was possible to do those things, that is.

I have made some huge life changes in 2008, but they have all been safe changes. As a result, I am now in "safe mode"......which I have to say is not Debsylee in the slightest. I am boxed in with nowhere to run, or so it seems. I never liked having to run my PC in safe mode, so running my life in a similar manner is not exactly setting me on fire.

So 2009 is the year to mix it up a bit and take it to the edge more often.

It's time to calculate the risk of living dangerously, against the risk of doing nothing.

Sadly I never met Friedrich Nietzsche, given that he died in 1900 and was a famous German philosopher, but all that time ago he was effusing...

Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously....

You've convinced me, Herr Nietzsche.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does it involve live ammo???!

Jeepers Debs, you scare me when you talk like this, the free world ahs only just stabilised since your last spree LOL!!!

x

Anonymous said...

I know I shouldn't say this with you settling up there, but Lincolnshire does not sit well with our girl....

Big uggs xxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Everyone should take more risks next year and live more dangerously.

What's to lose, based on where we are today?

Anonymous said...

You are at your best when you live dangerously x

Anonymous said...

Absolutely with you on this one hun; living within safe boundaries leads you to a very lacklustre place.

I hope you have hit the delete button as promised?? ;-)

xxx

Anonymous said...

Hey babe!
Did you like the e-mail? I cried laughing at it but I bet you don't use it ;-)
I cannot tell you how pleased I was to get your voicemail- good girl.
Pete xxxx

Anonymous said...

Debsy Gorgeousness......

We have lunched and drunk much in liquid refreshments and the verdict of this esteemed and respected panel is....hoo-bloody-rah!!!!

The A Team x x x x

debsylee said...

Yes it was funny Peetee, and you are right, I won't be using it! You are nastier than me, you little beesh ;-)

C, M and T....where was my bloody invite?? I'm sick of getting sloshed on Skype with you lot :-(

Anonymous said...

O Gorgeous Raven Haired One!!!

When comest thou home? Back to the fair city of smoke???

Getteth yourself on a train and let us hiteth the town, fair maiden

x x x x x

Anonymous said...

Darling Debs,

Have just sent you the e-mail ref Rach's doodle-do, let me know tomorrow, sweetie.

Ref that which we will not discuss nor mention, you know what they say about falling off the horse?

Get straight back on.

Just make sure it's a different one, you've never been stuck for choice let's face it ;-)

T x

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Debsylee!!!

Have loved reading your blog this year; you are a true inspiration girl.

Loads hugs n' love xxx

Anonymous said...

Well maybe there is a God above
But all I've ever learned from love
Was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you
And it's not a cry that you hear at night
It's not somebody who's seen the light
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah....

Pete xxxx

debsylee said...

That's a cheery little ditty P; thanks for that! :-O

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!

I hope 2009 brings you everything you want for yourself, Debsylee.

Your blog has been a terrific read this year, but I'm sensing something is coming to a close for you here, as well as the end of the year.

This is a very good time of year to take stock and decide what is right for you in the coming 12 months so I wish you luck and trust that you will make the right choices for you and your boy.

Dan x

Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas Debsylee XXX

Anonymous said...

Sorry babe! Was listening to the lyric and it reminded me of our conversation :-(
Didn't mean to be a damp squib, but I know you're a feisty thing who won't let it get her down for too long.
There is far better waiting for you, you know that, starting on 27 December when that beautiful boy comes home to his Mummy ;-)

Pete xxxx

Anonymous said...

Crissakes Pete!!

Leave the deep and meaningfuls alone mate- its Christmas!

Anonymous said...

O Gorgeous One,

Who hath eluded me for what seems like eternity,

Listen not to stupid song lyrics brought forth to you by Peter; he is insaneth. And very thicketh.

Your Knight x x x x

PS Seriously chick, eight months is long enough in anyone's book, know what I mean? Get yourself down here for a few sherbets and a spin across the floor after Christmas if you're up for it.