Tuesday, December 23, 2008

If you don't believe in Father Christmas, you ain't coming in....

Around two months ago now I purchased a moldavite crystal pendant after reading that, if worn regularly, it can "change your life at breakneck speed"....but in a good way, I was reassured. And I have to say that has so far held true.

Whilst I haven't exactly had to hold onto my seat, there have been a few events that have winded me, but hey, life goes on, friends come, some go, and so forth. And whilst I'm not exactly dancing a jig right now, I can see why certain movements need to take place to make way for the coming experience.

My pal Ullie says you should expect nothing from the people who come into your life, and I would say that is the best approach I've heard in a long time. It does, however, become a bit of a test of will when you invest months of effort and hope in certain relationships and they still go poof! in front of your eyes..... but I can see where she is coming from.

I like to think the universe has big plans for me this coming year, and it has decided that, owing to my total ineptitude and inability to clear my decks of complicated issue-related stuff and messy bits and pieces, it will do it for me.

POOF! it's all clear now. Bring on 2009.

I am, of course, talking about the universe dressed in seasonal Father Christmas garb, and shouting "ho! ho! ho! little Debsylee!! Have you been a good girl?? Of course you haven't....some things never change. Here's our present to you any way...you're not going to like it, but touch, feel, smell......it will grow on you, we promise..."

And to make the bitter pills easier to swallow, the universe sends great stuff to me to make me laugh, like this morning on my local radio station... A chap is interviewing stone masons who work at Lincoln Cathedral (aforementioned great building of outstanding beauty and imposing magnificence).

He continues his interview..."so, Fred Smith, you started work here as a stone mason three years ago after finishing college. Is working at Lincoln Cathedral a bit like playing for Man U?"

Sorry???

Now, I get where he was going with that question, but can you think of any job that is less like playing for Manchester United than being a stone mason at Lincoln Cathedral?

I am loving the local radio stations around here, I have to tell you.

So the moldavite seems to be doing it's thang. And with a bit of universally-applied comedic stuff, I seem equipped to slay the odd dragon of life's challenges.

The piece de resistance this Christmas has to be the fact that my boy is at that peak of excited anticipation that this time of year brings, totally buying into the whole magic of it and asking with unnerving regularity "is it Christmas tonight?"

And because he laps up every bit of detail, I tend to go overboard with the tales of the intricate plans that are afoot to reward him with special presents for being a good boy this year. My masterpiece is that the Red Arrows have got a very special treat in store for him.....

He has a special card to open in the morning with the Red Arrows on the front adorned by glittery snowflakes, and a message inside that reads:

"Dear Ben, we hear that you have been a very good boy for your Mummy this year, so Ben Murphy (Red 7) is flying in his Red Arrow to the North Pole to take some special presents from us to Father Christmas for you....Happy Christmas! Love from the Red Arrows xxx"

Sometimes, having a bespoke card business pays dividends, I can tell you.

I just know that tomorrow morning he is going to be overcome with excitement when he gets that card. That is what Christmas is all about. It's magic.

I need to end on another giggle-fest....Gavin and Stacey.

I never really paid too much attention to this programme, initially thinking it was another series fashioned in the same style as Two Pints of Lager et al (i.e. not my cup of Darjeeling) But it is quite different.

This trailer in no way conveys the true brilliance of the programme, but it makes me laugh every time....

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely cracking!

Have a good one x

Anonymous said...

Love the Gavin and Stacey clip!

I think the universe has big plans for you to, Debsy ;-)

Happy Christmas x

Anonymous said...

Your little boy is going to go crazy, I love that idea x

Anonymous said...

Hey gorgeous,
Love, love, love this post- much more like the real Debs!
I think you have been very dignified in how you've handled "the situation" both on here and off.
One thing I do know is that he will wish one day that he treated you better (if he doesn't already). His timing on this one will go down as legendary, though.
Onward and upward, babe; you have a lot to look forward to next year- you know that ;-)
Love you lots

x x x x x

Anonymous said...

Great post Debsylee!

I take it your SO and you have split? If thats the case, I'm really sorry.

Horrid timing- big hug x

Anonymous said...

You have a lovely positive attitude that you should try to get patented and bottled; you would make a fortune!
Warm wishes to you and your loved ones x

Anonymous said...

If you are into Gavin and Stacey, I think we have to re-christen you......

DEBSY-LAA......!!!!!!!

Forget him chicklet. You went some way to exorcising his ghost a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure his "other commitments" (or whatever she/they are called) will keep him busy.

Anonymous said...

Gavin and Stacey ROCK!

So do you babe; love ya!!!

XXXXX

Anonymous said...

DEB-SY-LAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Sing it girl.............

It's Christmastime
There's no need to be afraid
At Christmastime, we let in light and we banish shade
And in our world of plenty we can spread a smile of joy
Throw your arms around the world at Christmastime

But say a prayer

Pray for the other ones
At Christmastime it's hard, but when you're having fun
There's a world outside your window
And it's a world of dread and fear
Where the only water flowing is the bitter sting of tears
And the Christmas bells that ring there are the clanging
chimes of doom
Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you

And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime
The greatest gift they'll get this year is life
(Oooh) Where nothing ever grows
No rain nor rivers flow
Do they know it's Christmastime at all?

(Here's to you) raise a glass for everyone
(Here's to them) underneath that burning sun
Do they know it's Christmastime at all?

Bono rocks and so so you babe!!!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Anonymous said...

Soz....."Bono rocks and so do you babe...."

Quality tune; wish we were getting wrecked with you this afternoon and giving it some wellie

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Anonymous said...

His loss will be someone elses gain. You're one in a million Debs.

Anonymous said...

Christmas isn't the same without us all in the bar singing our trolleyed heads off to this one, babe-arama.

Two things:
1 Bono is legendary,
2 You deserve far better than you got this year.

Lots of kissykisses and see you soon x

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Debs.

I hope 2009 brings you the love and respect that such a special lady deserves.

Anonymous said...

Very best wishes for the holidays! I know that 2009 is going to bespectacular for you Deb
I am relieved to hear that you're a single gal again- keep it that way for a while! Concentrate on getting that great creative mind to work and leave the menfolk alone for a bit (at least as far as exclusivity goes!)
Speak to you soon