Thursday, August 7, 2008

Mars and Venus??

Who has read 'Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus'?

OK, let me rephrase that; who has read it and suddenly thought "Eureka! Now my relationship will be sooo much easier, now that I understand how to relate to him/her?"

Well, I read it, I understand it, I accept it, and I am now seriously considering giving up altogether on the opposite sex! How can I alter the habits of a lifetime (needing to communicate, needing some form of reassurance, etc) to take account of how a man might be feeling, going through, etc?

How can that work? Is it Venusians who need to change (see how readily I adopt the lingo....) or do the Martians need to climb down from their stubborn steeds and do a bit of meeting on the half-way line?

My Martian is a dyed-in-the-wool, "take me as you find me" kinda guy; you've got to love his consistency (well......maybe not) and I honestly think he can't, shan't, won't change, even if he wanted to. Caving is what he does, it's an inherent part of the man.

I, on the other hand, vivacious, bubbly and ready to explore the furthest reaches of this adventure called life, to seize it by the scruff of it's elusive neck and wring every last drop of experience until there is no more, find his current state of being........well, alien. And totally Martian-like.

Maybe there is something in it after all.

Are we programmed to make to the same mistakes in our relationships, or does one need to back down for the other to be happy?

No comments: